Don Wintz has tricked out his Trooper and really built it up. From a phone
interview, I captured the following details from him about his rig.
Don will be running his super-Trooper
through the Rubicon late in August, and shooting film of this beast in
action. I'm anxious to see this rig with my own eyes and marvel at all
the engineering that Don and Fabtech's Greg Soper have poured into this
- Don reports that his stock Trooper cleared 8.5" at skidplate before the modifications commenced.
Now it clears 20" at skidplate, and a whopping 24" at teh rocker panels. This from a completely custom suspension including:
- Front: long Custom National Springs, holding an entire 1985 Toyota mini truck live-axle assembly
- Rear: way longer than stock Custom National Springs, with relocated spring mounts
- Custom shock mounts and rancho 9012 14" travel shocks all around
- Don's rig isn't shy in the powertrain department, either. His trooper is equipped with:
- Chevrolet 4.3 V6
- custom 4 core aluminum crossflow radiator
- 700R transmission
- Advanced Adaptor and
Marlin dual transfer case setup
- custom driveshafts
- He's running 33x12.50 tires on custom wheels.
I anticipate taking pictures soon, but if you can't wait until then to start modifying your own rig, call Greg at
Fabtech at 714-870-9422 and maybe he'll work with you to make your rig the next ultimate Isuzu.
Please mail the Isuzu ORC Staff for specifics.