The U.S. truck market just got a serious headbutt this week as the 2021 Ram 1500 TRX was unveiled with an industry-leading 702 horsepower.
Designed with the Ford Raptor clearly in its sights, the 2021 Ram 1500 TRX looks like a monster on paper. In addition to the aforementioned 702 ponies, the TRX also boasts 650 lb-ft of torque, 6.2-liter supercharged HEMI V-8 engine, 0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds, 0-100 mph in 10.5 seconds, and a top speed of 118 mph.
“The all-new 2021 Ram TRX sets the benchmark for extreme performance pickup trucks and solidifies Ram Truck’s position as the off-road truck leader,” said Mike Koval, Head of Ram Brand, FCA – North America. “Ram has a strong history of high-performance trucks and TRX adds to that while expanding the light-duty lineup with the segment’s best combination of performance, capability, luxury and technology.”
You’ll also find 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory tires wrapped around 18-inch beadlock-ready wheels, helping the Ram achieve up to 32 inches of water fording.
Other highlights include an eight-inch wider stance than the rest of the Ram 1500 lineup, 8,100-pound towing capacity and maximum payload capacity of 1,310 pounds.
Up front, a functional hood scoop brings in 50% of the air to the 6.2L HEMI V8 engine, while the remaining 50% enters through the grille.
The 2021 Ram 1500 TRX also comes standard with a unique R-A-M badge, skid plates, steel bumpers, all-black premium LED headlamps, LED tail lamps, oversized front and rear tow hooks, and integrated five-inch dual exhaust ports.
Ram 1500 TRX buyers can choose an optional full-length rock rail for added protection or traditional powder-coated steel running boards. You can also choose a bed-mounted spare tire carrier as an add-on.
2021 Ram 1500 TRX Interior
The interior of the Ram 1500 TRX offers some luxurious touches, including leather-wrapped instrument panels, new front seats with enhanced bolster support and embroidered logos, new aluminum paddle shifters, and console-mounted floor shifter.
Buyers can choose from three different interior options, including premium cloth and vinyl, premium wrapped leather and suede, or premium wrapped leather and suede with red and carbon fiber accents.
“Based on the Rebel layout, trucks outfitted with a TR Equipment Group will greet occupants with premium cloth and vinyl accents featuring black and Dark Ruby Red surfaces,” FCA North America says in a release. “Opting for the TR1 or TR2 Equipment Group provides an interior based on the Ram 1500 Limited and features an all-black color scheme with leather and suede to give TRX a unique feel. Heated and ventilated premium Natura Plus leather with perforated suede accents cover the front bucket and rear bench seats. The TR1 and TR2 Equipment Groups come standard with medium Greystone stitching and Graphite Metallic accents. The TR2 Equipment Group offers TRX red stitching and carbon fiber accents as an available option.”
A new Head-up Display unit is offered on the TR2 Equipment Group and can show up to five different content areas at once, including Lane Departure, Lane Keep Assist, adaptive cruise control, turn-by-turn navigation, current speed, current gear, and speed limit.
2021 Ram 1500 TRX Highlights
- 2021 Ram 1500 TRX, the apex predator of the truck world, is engineered to handle the most punishing conditions with extreme capability and durability, significantly outperforming every other truck
- New frame extensively uses high-strength steel that increases low-torsion attributes to amplify durability and stability
- Engineered to deliver a new level of truck performance, the 6.2-liter supercharged HEMI® V-8 engine sets new benchmarks for power and performance among half-ton pickups:
- Rated at 702 horsepower, 650 lb.-ft. of torque
- 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 4.5 seconds; 0-100 mph in 10.5 seconds
- Quarter mile in 12.9 seconds at 108 mph
- Top speed of 118 mph
- High-torque-capacity TorqueFlite 8HP95 eight-speed automatic transmission delivers quick, crisp gear changes during both normal and performance driving conditions
- New, innovative dual-path air induction system delivers maximum output and feeds a steady supply of cool, clean air to the engine through the front grille and functional hood scoop
- Largest air filter in the segment uses dual filter elements and is designed for extreme, dusty environments with four times the dust trapping capacity when compared to the closest competitor
- Full-time active transfer case features upgraded internals for improved strength, durability
- All-new, unique suspension system with active damping, inspired by desert off-road racers, incorporates forged aluminum front upper and lower control arms with special attention to caster and camber angles during suspension cycling
- New independent front suspension system with active damping uses high-strength aluminum to maintain overall strength and durability
- TRX uses a Dana 60 solid rear axle with a 3.55 ratio featuring full-floating hubs and axle-hop damper for improved traction and axle control on rough surfaces. An electronic locking rear differential is standard for increased performance off-road
- Designed exclusively for TRX, new front and rear 2.5-inch Bilstein Black Hawk e2 adaptive performance shocks provide fast reaction time, unbeatable damping and improved heat dissipation for traversing harsh terrain at speeds greater than 100 mph
- Five-link coil suspension is tuned to deliver the best combination of ride, handling and comfort no matter the road surface
- Wheel travel is greater than 13 inches at all four corners, an increase of more than 40 percent compared to the rest of the Ram 1500 lineup
- All-new face of Ram includes modern Ram’s head logo and “R-A-M” badge with flow-through lettering
- Functional hood scoop is responsible for 50 percent of air entering the 6.2-liter supercharged HEMI V-8 engine while the other 50 percent enters through the grille
- New integrated composite fender flares add 8 inches of body width and feature all-new steel box outers, creating a striking “hourglass” body
- New LED clearance lamps are cleverly integrated into the hood scoop and front bumper flares, amplifying the new aesthetic of the truck
- Full LED Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) includes twin bi-functional projector headlamps, fog lamps and taillamps with up to 15 degrees of direction control with steering input
- Most spacious interior in the segment offers new, authentic premium materials, colors and textures, including hand-wrapped leather instrument panels for unexpected luxury throughout
- All-new 2021 Ram TRX features three interior options, including premium cloth and vinyl, premium wrapped leather and suede, or premium wrapped leather and suede with available red and carbon fiber accents
- New flat-bottom steering wheel offers enhanced hand grips wrapped in leather with optional suede and carbon fiber accents. New aluminum paddle shifters stretch above and below the steering wheel spokes
- Reimagined center console with maximum storage includes a new performance-oriented floor shifter, wireless charging dock and five USBs, including Type A and C ports
- Custom specifications plate on the console lid lists which engine is under the hood, the type of supercharger Ram TRX uses, boost output, horsepower and the vehicle-specific Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Ram TRX-specific transfer case switches are integrated into the dashboard along with Drive Mode selector and Launch Control
- Uconnect 4C NAV 12-inch touchscreen is standard equipment and includes SiriusXM 360L with Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora, which offers a custom listening experience through a 900-watt, 19-speaker Harman Kardon audio system
- All-new Head-up Display unit makes its FCA vehicle debut and can show up to five different content areas at once
- TRX touts the first FCA application of Drive Modes and Off-Road Pages with the Uconnect 4C NAV 12-inch touchscreen
- New Baja drive mode calibrates four-wheel-drive and steering systems, stability control, paddle shifters and suspension for ultimate desert performance, delivering maximum capability on undulating, loose surfaces
- Available digital rearview mirror replaces the traditional rearview mirror with a 9.2-inch-wide LCD monitor
- Trailer Reverse Steer Control is an available standalone option on Ram TRX and uses a dial to point the trailer in the desired direction while the system controls the steering wheel
- More than 100 active and passive safety and security features, including ParkView rear backup camera with dynamic grid lines, electronic stability control (ESC) with electronic roll mitigation and six air bags. Available features include Blind-spot Monitoring, adaptive cruise control, Ready Alert Braking and Full-Speed Forward Collision Warning-Plus, available
- All-new 18-by-9-inch aluminum wheels are available in both standard and a beadlock-capable option
- Goodyear Wrangler Territory 325/65/R18 All-Terrain 35-inch tires, developed exclusively for Ram TRX, achieve unmatched levels of wear resistance, traction and reduced road noise
- Ram TRX offers the largest front brakes in the segment at 15 inches
- Ram TRX has a maximum payload of 1,310 pounds and maximum trailer tow of 8,100 pounds
- Ram TRX features a 2-inch ride height increase over Ram 1500, enabling 11.8 inches of ground clearance and capability of up to 32 inches of water fording
- All-new 2021 Ram TRX underwent rigorous testing in extreme environments across the continental United States to handle the most punishing conditions with extreme confidence, capability and durability