Can-Am Dirt Bike Build, Part 2
In any case, with the Ormstown Vintage Off-Road Festival coming up, our resto-racer project hit the afterburner. Here’s how we’ve made out so far.
The Can-AM started on the first kick once we got it back together, quickly settling into a nice idle. A few blasts around the yard showed it ran well, the clutch was smooth and it shifted ok. Unfortunately a split in an oil-injection line made the bike spew two-stroke oil. Adding to the mess it also dribbled fuel all over itself, thanks to a leaky petcock. With the Ormstown Vintage Offroad Festival just around the corner and the Gopher Dunes Vintage Races a month after that we’re still running wide open to get this bike ready to race.
Right away, aside from new fuel and oil lines, we’ll be installing new shocks. We’ll be changing the gearing from high-speed ice-racing 15-44 to a more moto-friendly 14-50 combination, along with a new chain. We’ll also bolt on a chain guide, a new throttle and cable and a new petcock. Hopefully we can at least ride it a couple hours to get the jetting and suspension dialled in before we drag it all the way to Quebec … in three days!
Our future plans include lacing up some lighter aluminum rims with new spokes, making the engine looking pretty, a folding shifter, trying a couple different exhaust systems and figuring out a way to improve the notoriously mediocre Can-AM brakes. And maybe, just maybe, we’ll even drag home a trophy or two … after all, this bike has done it before!