Dempsey, Herder Score Baja 1000 Class 1 Victory
Chucky Dempsey and John Herder crossed to finish line to earn the 2008 Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 class win in their 101 Jefferies-Chevy buggy with an overall time of 14 hours, 59 minutes and 57 seconds. The team finished just over 16 minutes faster than the second-place Class 1 team in the 118 Alpha Performance-Chevy car of Harley Letner and Kory Halopoff.
Some speculated that the tight, technical sections of the 631-mile course might give the Class 1s a shot at the overall title, but that wasn’t the case at this year’s Baja 1000, as Dempsey and Herder finished 2 hours, 19 minutes and 24 seconds behind overall four-wheel winner Roger Norman and Larry Roeseler.
Rounding out the top three in Class 1 was the 117 Jimco-Chevy buggy of Ron Brant, Richard Boyle and Tom Kirkmeyer, who finished the race in 15 hours, 28 minutes and 15 seconds. It appears that ninth-place-finisher BJ Richardson, who entered the 1000 with the overall points lead in the class, earned enough points to secure the Class 1 points championship.
Here are the finishing times of the top 10 Class 1 racers:
1. Chuck Dempsey/John Herder, 14:59:57
2. Harley Letner/Kory Halopoff, 15:16:53
3. Ron Brant/Richard Boyle/Tom Kirkmeyer, 15:28:15
4. Rod Bruce/Mark Witte, 16:02:12
5. Brian Robinson/Beau Robinson/Travis Robinson, 18:04:49
6. Luis Ramirez Jr./Carlos Sanchez/Luis Ramirez, 19:08:44
7. Josh Rigsby/Tony Murray/Randy Ross, 19:25:31
8. Brian Parkhouse/Tom Ridings, 20:05:09
9. BJ Richardson/Mark Weyrich/TJ Flores, 20:31:25
10. Armin Schwarz/Martin Christensen, 22:38:26