Wrangler-vs-FJ

Dirt Dispute is a new series of opinion polls, asking you to pick which off-roader you would rather park in your driveway. Vote below and feel free to suggest future polls in the comments section.

The Jeep Wrangler JK has no real direct competition on the market right now, but it wasn’t long ago that Toyota was building the FJ Cruiser, the best Wrangler fighter to come around in a long while.

Manufactured from 2006 to 2016, the modern FJ Cruiser continued a legacy of great off-road machines from the Japenese brand, much like the modern Wrangler JK carries the torch for all the Willys and Jeep models that came before it.

So not only are both of these vehicles steeped in history, each packs credible off-road gear and a go-anywhere attitude.

Under the hood, late-model FJs come with a 4.0-liter V6 that makes 260 horsepower and 271 lb-ft of peak torque, while early models came with the same engine making 239 hp and 278 lb-ft of torque. Approach angle on the FJ is rated at 34 degrees while ground clearance sits at 9.6 inches.

READ MORE: Toyota Announces 2014 Final Year for FJ Cruiser at 2013 SEMA Show

Original Wrangler JK models arrived with a 3.8-liter V6 engine making 202 horsepower and 237 lb-ft, while 2012 and later models use a 3.6-liter V6 making 285 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque. Approach angles on the Wrangler JK vary from year-to-year based on bumper and tire size, but the Jeep ranges anywhere from 38 degrees up to 44. Ground clearance also depends on which tires come on the Wrangler, but a modern JK is anywhere from 8.3 to 10 inches off the ground at the differential.

So now you know a little about these off-roaders (though if you’re on off-road.com you probably knew that stuff already).

The question is, which one would you rather park in your driveway? And more importantly, which one would you rather take into a mud pit, sand wash or across the desert? The Wrangler JK or the FJ?

Vote in the poll below to find out how your favorite wheeler fares!

TAGS:  , , , , , , , , ,

Comments

Wheel Dreams August 9th, 2017 at 8:21 am

Maybe the you should have asked which one you would rather have if you were 100 miles off-road somewhere in Utah…but then again, I guess you wouldn’t be there if you didn’t have the JEEP! 😉

Molly August 10th, 2017 at 9:26 am

Weird. I see waves of Jeep’s in my travels and only a fraction of FJs passing, parked, or anything else. So why is that…….?
Jeep’s ARE parked in the driveways everywhere.
Jeep on and ✌️

Dirty Lass August 10th, 2017 at 9:42 am

The Jeep community is getting word of this poll..watch the number skyrocket for Wrangler

Dirty Lass August 10th, 2017 at 10:16 am

Jeep owners are family..in less than a half hour, Jeep surpassed the FJ. And we are still going strong

Brad August 10th, 2017 at 12:38 pm

The Jeep is a better off-road vehicle “out of the box” and is somewhat easier to modify, but the Toyota has better reliability, mechanical soundness, and road manners.

Jeep will get you there; Toyota will get you home.

Mad Hiker August 10th, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Oh yeah? Ur jeep would be in a shop after 100 miles of wheeling.

Jace August 10th, 2017 at 3:13 pm

It would seem this is a bit biased by the look of the two vehicles. The Jeep looks as if it’s been modified where you’re showing a stock FJ which can still match up to the Jeep just fine.

PROUD FJ Owner August 10th, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Keep wishing that your Chrysler-made so-called off-road vehicle has anywhere near the reliability and capability of a stock FJ. Toyota runs circles around the Jeep! 😉

Kate T August 11th, 2017 at 12:22 am

I traded my 11 JK for my 07 FJ. I drove and modded Cherokees, grand Cherokees, commander’s and wranglers for fifteen years. The wrangler JK was my dream car, but I needed more room after my husband switched from his Grand Cherokee to a new Corolla. I cried when I traded it. Two days later I came to the conclusion I’d never own a Jeep again. I’d be five grand into a JK for what this FJ does stock. It’s just a better vehicle all around.

MOSALF August 11th, 2017 at 12:26 am

You could cover the Xterra in here as well. That’s another good offroaders. Jeep is a great off-road brand with a lot of modsavailable in the off-road market, however the earlier models had a huge reliability issue. Fj on the other hand has the reliable wishbone frame and is scaled down version of the land cruiser. A great all round cat for offroad both on sand and rock.

Name Rolan August 11th, 2017 at 9:27 am

Jeep is always best car in desert. This made for off road no other car can beat this car

Brenda C August 11th, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Toyotas rule. Any day my friends, bring it on.

He Fj Owner August 11th, 2017 at 5:59 pm

I have owned 3 jeeps, 1 was a 72 AMC (real jeep) 304 v8 3 speed, 1 was a 82 cj5 and Las was a 03 x series. They where good but do not compare to my 2012 Fj Cruiser. Hands down best off road out the showroom vehicle made. The new jeeps suck and should not even carry the name jeep. Without a ton of non jeep aftermarket parts they can’t handle simple off reading trips. And don’t get me started on the garbage new minivan motor they dump in that junk. Just garbage.

Gary Surdyke August 11th, 2017 at 6:39 pm

Ive owned 2 FJ’s and 2 Rubicons both with automatic trannys. The FJ is by far a better vehicle. But the Jeep has features that for my use make it a better choice. FYI been to Moab, Ouray, Taylor Pass from Gunnison to Aspen. Why is Jeep better for me? I tow my Jeep behind motorhome. Just put transfer case in neutral. Can’t do that with FJ. You can take the top off. I’m a Ford guy. Had an original Bronco. wish i still had it. Anxious to see new Ford Bronco that is coming.

Name (required)Todd August 11th, 2017 at 10:19 pm

The two words that best describe the Fiat 4×4 TRANSMISSION FIRES

Happy FJ owner August 12th, 2017 at 1:23 am

Jeeps are cute. Barbie has one.They are also every other car on the road. In the parking lots of the malls. I prefer to stand out in the crowd. A friend has a Jeep. It has already broken down on him. My FJ has had no issues yet. It may not be as plush as his Wrangler. It has a lot more personality than the cookie cutter Wrangler.It is going up in value. Plus, I am not afraid to get it dirty.

Tony August 12th, 2017 at 10:55 am

55k miles in my 14 FJ and ive never had one issue with it. Aside from 8k mile oil changes, everything is perfect. Drives ridiculously smooth

Alex August 13th, 2017 at 10:34 am

I drive a ’14 FJ so it automatically gets my vote, but I also love the JK. Both are welcome in my driveway.

Mr.Jack August 14th, 2017 at 4:48 am

I’d buy an FJ Cruiser again
reliable, durable, modifiable,
cheap parts
unlike made in china high priced parts Jeef

SirRyan August 15th, 2017 at 4:53 pm

It’s no contest. The FJ has been a jeep wannabe since it was made. And it can’t come close

Brad August 15th, 2017 at 7:23 pm

Toyota discontinued the FJ. Manufacturers don’t discontinue cars that are profitable and popular so they conceded this contest. The poll is useless!

Peter Chambers August 16th, 2017 at 1:52 am

It’s a shame you don’t have Nissan Patrol DT4.2’s in the US.

C.J August 16th, 2017 at 4:48 am

FJ Cruiser without a question
@Brad .. Jeep wannabe ??? look at FJ40 History
and the real reason behind discontinuing it “In USA”
because it did a lot of damage to US made cars sales … especially jeep
closing another car maker in US will be bad for economy there

C.J August 16th, 2017 at 4:59 am

I think the reason behind wrangler winning here
because it’s an Instagram Hero
and owners at least have a 10 Devices in there pockets for different pictures haha xD

Name (required)Russ August 16th, 2017 at 6:58 am

Type your comment here…I confronted this issue when shopping 8 years ago. The FJ had reliability on its side plus extra door opening for getting into the back seat. My son said, “You won’t be happy with the Toyota. You can’t see out of it and the top does not come off.” The TJ that I bought was cheap enough that I could afford the 4-inch lift and 35 inch tires on 15×10 wheels. Happy off-reading in the Jeep since then, but wouldn’t mind spending some time in an FJ just to be sure, even after all of these years.

OTB August 16th, 2017 at 8:38 am

Weird, I’ve wheeled all over CA, NC, SC, PA, VA, TN and KY and in all those places I’ve seen far more JK’s than FJ’s. Hands down. Yet somehow the FJ is supposedly the better off-road vehicle? At least according to some of the comments posted here. I challenge any FJ owner to run Fordyce Trail in CA. Or the black and red trails at Rausch Creek in PA. Bring a buddy with a strong back. You’ll need someone to stack rocks for you. Note: I own a TJ.

North Idaho Tom Jones August 17th, 2017 at 6:33 pm

Both are great – however … Only the Toyota FJ can legally tow 5,000 lbs. The Wranglers top out at a measly 3,800 towing capacity.
((( This means that a Jeep Wrangler can not even legally tow another Jeep Wrangler !!! ))). If you want to be able to tow something, the FJ has the power and the DOT rating for 5,000 lbs towing !!!

North Idaho Tom Jones August 17th, 2017 at 6:51 pm

I just looked at my U-Haul after-market hitch on my FJ.
It stated 5,000 tow capacity (which is the factory & DOT tow rating).
However, the U-Haul hitch on the FJ additionally has a second DOT rating of 6,000 lbs when used with a trailer load-leveler. ( Thus it is legally possible for my FJ to tow a 3,900 Wrangler with over a full ton (2,000 lbs) of stuff inside the Wrangler also !!!)