2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Heavy Duty with Cummins Diesel

A new class-action lawsuit has been filed against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and Cummins over issues with certain 2013-2017 RAM 2500 and 3500 heavy duty pickups.

The lawsuit, filed by Hagens Berman, claims that a defect in the engine can lead to lower gas mileage, higher emissions outputs and expensive repairs.

In all those trucks fitted with a 6.7-liter Cummins diesel engine, the suit claims that the selective catalytic converter (SCR) system breaks down, allowing the filter to get clogged, resulting in the need for more fuel to be burned. In an attempted fix, FCA dealers have been re-flashing the computers on these trucks, but the suit claims that this also prompts the truck to burn more fuel to keep the filter clean.

In total, the lawsuit says that the fuel economy on these trucks has been dropping as much as 25 percent.

READ MORE: Making the Case for a Diesel Ram Power Wagon

Filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Hagens Berman is going after FCA and Cummins for “charges of fraudulent concealment, breach of warranty, violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), and violations of several state consumer protection laws,” according to the firm.

Further, Hagens Berman claims there is an issue with the washcoat sealant applied to the SCR which contributed to the high emissions, a problem that FCA has known about since 2014 but has not acted on.

READ MORE: Here’s Our Best Look Yet at the 2019 Ram 1500

Currently FCA and Cummins are suing each other over the issue, as the automaker believes the engine builder should have to foot the bill for the recall. Cummins, of course, disagrees, and blames FCA for the problem. “FCA refuses [to effect the recall] for one reason – money. FCA is holding both Cummins and its own customers hostage to FCA’s commercial demands,” according to Cummins.

A separate class-action lawsuit has already been brought against FCA and Cummins by Hagens Berman, claiming that these diesel engines also have emissions cheating software in them. And on top of that, FCA is also under fire from the U.S. government for alleged emissions cheating software in its smaller 3.0-liter diesel vehicles.

TAGS:  , , , , , ,

Comments

Dave July 5th, 2017 at 6:18 am

An easy fix is to just install a delete kit and straight pipe exhaust which is an all around fix. It will increase horsepower plus increase fuel mileage. I was going to buy a new one but I think I’ll just keep my old one for now since I have none of the issues. Also after replacing my turbo my fuel mileage now is 22-23 empty and 17-18 towing 6000 lbs.

Gary Copeland July 5th, 2017 at 6:53 am

Quick fix is do not buy any diesel powered truck as long as the trucks have the rediculus emissions control devises they (EPA) have come up with. When the public quits buying something will be done to fix the problem.

James King July 5th, 2017 at 8:40 am

Still love my 1991 Dodge D-250 Cummins. Yes shes slow and pulls my trailer around no problem still getting 19to 22 mpg,s and absolutely do not have to worry about smog garbage even through I live in nazicalifornia.

Jason Edwards July 5th, 2017 at 9:56 am

Still not selling my 92 12V.

Warren July 5th, 2017 at 10:21 am

I have ’94 2500 with the 5.9 turbo diesel. Love it and im not having any of these problems either. Im still getting 23-25 mpg. Biggest problem now is finding new plastic dash parts for the dash face. I dont see how the electric vehicle could work for the truck, and im wondering why the inch displacement keeps going up, the 5.9 works very well.

Rich Muller July 5th, 2017 at 10:28 am

I have a 07 with the 6.7 and have similar issues. Only way I could get close to decent mileage was with a delete kit and Mideast programmer. I was going to go with a new truck but certainly not if I’m gonna get worst mileage.

John July 5th, 2017 at 10:40 am

Love my 2005 2500. I can live with the fuel mileage of about 16 – 18 MPG. I do wish that the average fuel economy readout was closer to accurate as it is about 6 mpg high all the time.

Craig July 5th, 2017 at 10:53 am

This class action suit should have come long time ago the 2007-2009 6.7l Cummins had bigger issues with the blue tech crap that they purchased from Mercedes and was not engineered properly for the Cummins motor FCA is just slapping these engines together with no regard for quality or environment. FCA’s fix was telling customers to drive it like they stole it.

Brandon McCreary July 5th, 2017 at 11:05 am

How do I get into this class action lawsuit?

David July 5th, 2017 at 11:13 am

I have a 2017 3500, done the delete at 4000 miles and have 27k miles on it. I average about 14mpg. The delete includes 4″ exhaust with muffler, removed the cross over tube to the intake and blocked the EGR, removed the intake motor. Installed a S%B filter. My 2010 2500 got a lot mileage.

Curtis July 5th, 2017 at 11:18 am

Delete it, don’t want to do deletes, or maybe can’t due to stupid EPA emission laws? Then don’t buy a new diesel!
And F, the EPA!!!!!! Burning a ton more diesel on count of Emission laws is not saving the environment!! Dumb shits!!

Barb July 5th, 2017 at 11:28 am

Type your comment here…Dave – interesting info. I have a 2013. I assume if one were to do the delete and such, the truck would not pass inspection. It is my understanding though that we are about to do away with inspections here in Texas, so might be an option for me down the road.

Ashley July 5th, 2017 at 11:36 am

how to join suit?

Ram should be ashamed of their product!

Kevin Kelly July 5th, 2017 at 11:39 am

My ’93 4wd keeps going and going. I get about 22 empty and 18-19 on the flat towing 7500lb 5th wheel.

Tom Houlton July 5th, 2017 at 12:21 pm

My 2013 gets half of what my 2010 dually got! I’m on the edge of ordering a complete delete kit and a tuner! The bullsh** DEF garbage does nothing except cost the consumer and choke the life out of the engine!! And that’s exactly what the oil companies like — buy more fuel… As long as oil companies fill that fraudulent EPA’s pockets we consumers will get screwed!

SEth July 5th, 2017 at 12:34 pm

My old 2nd-gen CTDs are some of my best friends. Just chuggin’ away like a couple of old tractors. I’ll never get rid of them, and I suspect they’ll outlive me.

Bill Stark July 5th, 2017 at 1:27 pm

My truck was ref lashed and I lost 4 mph.. Towing forget it. Can not do anything I lose my extented warranty.

Kevin Williams July 5th, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Moving out of the Peoples Republik of Kalefornication and deleting all this cap off my 2016

Robert July 5th, 2017 at 2:08 pm

How about after the EPA polluted the Colorado and Animas river ….we just get rid of them altogether.

AS Hann July 5th, 2017 at 2:31 pm

Does everyone that participates in this suit understand that if Dodge prevails, they may be responsible for legal fees?

Shelby July 5th, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I was so mad at the way Ram handled the last recall(the buyback), I sold the truck and bought a Chevy. At that point I had owned 5 dodges in 12 years.

Jim July 5th, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Keeping my 93 D350 12V

CHRISTIAN VANDERGRIFF July 5th, 2017 at 4:40 pm

When I bought my ’07, salesman said: “with your 75k in cash, I can sell you a 6.7 for same price as 5.9″. I popped the hood on 6.7 and couldn’t see the engine(smog crap. Turns out, I bought the last 5.9 ever made, NO REGRETS!

TW July 5th, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Bought a 99 used 3500 Dually and did the usual injectors, turbo and spec built auto. I like the new looks and power. I’ve pulled 23k Coast to Coast twice..This is bad news for any upgrade. W/Lance camper and 24ft car trailer.

Mickey July 5th, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Absolutely love ❤️ my 12 valve Cummings and guess I will need to keep driving it . No new pollution control garbage racket for me…. EPA should get a grip… What a political mess.

Name Joe (required) July 5th, 2017 at 8:02 pm

My buddy works on brand new government diesels, he says there’s no epa junk on them, wtf

OscarMike July 5th, 2017 at 11:12 pm

Is this lawyer the same ambulance chaser clown that got Volkswagen and is in the process of trying to get GM for emissions cheating on the 2011-2016 Duramax???

David July 6th, 2017 at 5:57 pm

With the law suite what will happen if one side or the other wins? Would we be able to take off the EPA crap or what ?

Rick July 6th, 2017 at 9:22 pm

I have a 2015 Ram 4×4 Megacab Cummins diesel. Until I put larger tires on the truck it got pretty decent fuel economy. I am not complaining and have no interest in getting involved in the lawsuit.
Also…whomever wrote this article…we are talking about diesels…what is this crap about “gas mileage”. Have not put gas in a truck since 2000.

Name (required)Joe July 7th, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I will never surrender my 1997 Cummins 3500 dually 4×4 for a newer one. 21 mpg empty, 16-17mpg hauling. No ridiculous emissions equipment on it, and even in smog-nazi CA I do not have to smog it.EVER. i only have 120k on it, but have seen others well over 500k with no rebuild. I feel sorry for people who are stuck buying the garbage they offer today.

Steve July 8th, 2017 at 12:03 pm

I Love our truck, however the fuel economy took a dive after they flashed the computer. Dropped as much as 20%. Total BS. 2014 2500 44k. Can’t delete or remove exhaust in Ca, inspections every 2 years and BIG fines. Big government at work

Name (required)rocco July 8th, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Suing A or B or both is a waste of time. Elections have consequences. Tired of hearing the unions preaching to the workers that DEMO party is for the working man.. So the working man puts DEMOs in office and they are the party that is responsible for screwing the working man who needs a powerful diesel work truck. Waste of time blaming FCU or Cummins. Also, I am familiar with the Duramax and it is not trouble free..at all. Bad head gaskets.. weak lower .leaking injectors and the list goes on. The problem really is that working class people just do not understand elections have consequences. If you think Washington EPA Non elected law makers care about the terrible drop in fuel economy…you are dreaming. The goal is to make the diesel engine so expensive that it is no longer commercially viable. I worked in DC. Their goal is not really cleaner air but to legislate diesel engines out of existence through impossible emissions requirements. As to DELETE…most states have mandatory inspections and no inspector will risk his money generating license to pass a deleted DoDge.. In some states they permit state Troops on a visual inspection to order impoundment of your vehicle if he suspects it was deleted. Really that is pretty easy since many idiots put decals on their engine to show off the delete. Kiss you diesel goodby. I have driven a diesel truck for over 30 yrs…1993 or older are the best years.

Fred July 12th, 2017 at 11:18 am

my 2015 3500 gets 18 mpg on the hwy, had the catylic conv. replaced at the dealer and never changed the mileage. was smelling a burning smell inside and they fixed it right away. love the power and have had many of these cummins powered trucks.

Guy July 14th, 2017 at 1:49 am

I love my 2014 3500, but my truck is going through exactly what they’re describing in this article. Never got great mileage and now suffering with clogged DPF. Always had engine light issues pertaining to the DEF system. I hope they come up with a fix or I may be forced to buy a new F350. I’d get on board with the lawsuit if I could. Maybe it will push them to do something about it.

Bill July 14th, 2017 at 2:23 pm

The new diesel emissions equipment is a COMPLETE JOKE! A friend bought a 2010 Ram 2500, 6.7L. Within 2,000 miles he installed DPF & EGR delete kits. It immediately jumped up ~14 MPG! The more emissions crap they add, they more they choke the engines, the crappier fuel mileage, defeating the whole purpose. WAKE UP CARB & EPA! You are IDIOTS!