And because it’s a true Chevy truck, the Colorado leaves nothing on the table when it comes to innovative solutions for hauling and accessing cargo:
- Standard CornerStep rear bumper design pioneered on the 2014 Silverado
- Available EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate that uses an internal torsion bar to make raising the tailgate easier with one hand, and a damper for more-controlled lowering
- Standard two-tier loading that allows a platform to effectively split the bed into upper and lower sections, making it easier to haul, store and conceal items such as tools
- Thirteen standard tie-down locations throughout the bed for use with available, movable cargo tie-down rings
- Standard bed rail and tailgate protectors
- Available factory-installed spray-in bed liner.
An interior for Work, Recreation and Everyday Comfort
Blending cues from Silverado with a style all its own, the interior of the 2015 Colorado is designed to be comfortable, is cleverly equipped and well connected. A bold, upright instrument panel with large instruments and a central driver information centre is similar to Silverado, while featuring a centre console with a floor-mounted shifter similar to those found in midsize cars and crossovers.
Colorado cabin designers paid exceptional attention to detail and premium appointments, including a sculpted headliner that enhances headroom, halo lighting on key controls for easier view and an open area at the front of the centre console for easier phone charging. The Z71 model features exclusive colour and trim details, including embossed seatbacks and contrast stitching.
“We took the best attributes of full-size trucks and midsize cars to develop a passenger space that delivers a balance of unmatched functionality and comfort,” said Parkinson. “It’s designed to be as useful as possible, with storage compartments and clever features throughout, for owners who will use the Colorado as their daily driver and for weekend getaways.”
Interior details include:
- Sculpted door panels that make it easier to enter/exit the vehicle
- Upper-instrument panel storage bin (when not equipped with the uplevel audio system) and large glove box
- Standard centre console with room to store a tablet
- Rear under-seat storage.
Dual-firmness foam helps Colorado’s seats wear for long-haul comfort with high-wear, stain-resistant cloth seating trim. Leather-appointed seating is available.
Connectivity, Control and Safety Technologies
The new Colorado’s technologies are aimed at complementing owners’ lifestyles with connectivity and other features that support their daily and recreational lives – and help keep them safe, including:
- Eight-inch diagonal colour touch screen (LT, Z71) and multiple USB drives
- A 3.4-inch diagonal driver information screen in the instrument cluster
- Available next-generation OnStar and MyLink enhancements with gesture recognition and natural language voice recognition
- Available navigation
Standard and available features designed to keep the Colorado’s occupants safe before, during and after a crash include:
- Six standard air bags, including head side curtain air bags designed to help keep occupants from being ejected in a crash
- Large rearview mirrors and standard rear-vision camera system for greater visibility
- Available segment-first application of forward collision alert
- Available segment-first application of lane departure warning
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation, trailer sway control, hill start assist and hill descent control (Z71).
Chevy Truck DNA Supports Leading Capabilities
The Colorado delivers the capability expected of a Chevy truck – including segment-leading payload and trailering. Like the Silverado, the Colorado has a fully boxed perimeter frame, which provides the strength to support its capabilities, as well as a confident, smooth and quiet ride.
A coil-over-type front suspension features aluminum knuckles that are low in mass and high in strength, contributing to a more responsive, immediate feel to driver inputs, as well as efficiency. Colorado also features the segment’s first application of electric power steering, which enhances efficiency by avoiding the energy used by what conventionally is an engine-driven feature.
The Colorado has a short turning radius of about 12.5 metres (41 feet), enabling easier turning in tight areas such as city streets or backing a trailer into a camping spot.
Four-wheel disc brakes, with four-piston front calipers, are standard and feature Duralife™ brake rotors – also pioneered on the 2014 Silverado. They offer up to double the service life, which can save money on maintenance.
Another Chevy truck feature offered on the Colorado is the G80 automatic locking rear differential. Introduced by Chevy more than 40 years ago, it gives drivers a traction advantage when needed. It is standard on Z71 and available on WT and LT.
Truck-Tuned Powertrains Designed for Work, Efficiency
The 2.5L and 3.6L engines offered in the Colorado are based on proven designs found in other Chevrolet vehicles, but tuned uniquely for truck duty – including more torque at lower rpm – for a more confident feeling of power when the Colorado is loaded or pulling a trailer.
The 2.5L four is estimated at 193 horsepower (146 kW) and 184 lb-ft of torque (253 Nm), with approximately 90 percent of the peak torque available from 2,000 rpm to 6,200 rpm. The 3.6L engine is estimated at 302 horsepower (224 kW) and 270 lb-ft of torque (366 Nm). SAE certification of the power ratings is pending.
Aluminum blocks and forged-steel crankshafts, along with dual-overhead camshafts with variable valve timing, direct injection and jet-spray piston cooling are features shared on both engines. A number of extended-life components can help reduce maintenance intervals and reduce the cost of ownership.
All models are matched with a six-speed automatic that complements the truck-tuned engines with features that make hauling and trailering easier and more comfortable, including auto grade braking and a tow/haul mode. Extended cab 2WD WT models equipped with the 2.5L engine are also available with a six-speed manual transmission.
Chevrolet will continue to work on and develop the Colorado until the start of production in 2014. The content of this release is based on current GM testing and is subject to change.