ENSENADA, Mexico – It will be a weekend to remember for 23-year-old Bryce Menzies, who harnessed the power of his #70 Trophy Truck with BFGoodrich® Baja T/A®KR tires and earned his first overall Tecate SCORE Baja 500 victory. Menzies’ victory gave BFGoodrich Tires its 28th Tecate SCORE Baja 500 win in 31 years and 72nd overall four-wheel SCORE Baja race win. BFGoodrich Tires claimed victory in first 7 of the 10 overall spots and 13 of the 18 car/truck/buggy classes that completed the event.
“Congratulations to all of the racers who conquered Baja on BFGoodrich tires and great job to the 13 class winners,” said Silvia Mammone, motorsports and sponsorship manager, BFGoodrich Tires. “We will celebrate alongside our winning teams tonight, but it’s back to work on Monday to prepare for our heavy schedule of desert racing including SCORE’s Las Vegas Terrible Primm 300 and of course, the legendary Tecate SCORE Baja 1000.”
Menzies, who was first off the start line, took advantage of the dust-free course and held the physical lead throughout the entire 452.84-mile race. Throughout the blistering-fast race, Menzies drove the entire course and averaged 49.87 miles per hour to finish with a winning time of nine hours, four minutes and 52 seconds. BFGoodrich Tires’ racers claimed the top seven overall spots in the four-wheel classes and captured a podium sweep. Team BFGoodrich member Rob MacCachren finished second, 12 minutes and 33 seconds behind Menzies, after starting out ninth in his #20 MasterCraft Safety Racing Ford F-150. Andy McMillin, the 2010 Tecate SCORE Baja 500 winner, secured the third overall spot in his #31 McMillin Realty Ford F-150 Trophy Truck with driving partner Scott McMillin, clocking in just 36 seconds behind MacCachren. All three podium finishers recorded penalty-free races.
BFGoodrich tires also helped other drivers dominate their individual classes. Steven Eugenio and Adam Pfankuch not only won Class 1, but also finished seventh overall in their debut race in a new Chevy-powered Jimco open-wheel desert race car. Justin Matney continued his stellar season by winning the Class 8 with driving partner Rudolfo Iribe in a Chevy Silverado and Class 11 with driving partner Ramon Fernandez in a stock VW sedan. Clyde Stacy, Kyle Green and Eduardo Laguna conquered a Class 4 win in a PSD-Chevy to continue Stacy’s undefeated SCORE Class 4 racing run in 2011. Also winning their third consecutive race in the 2011 SCORE Desert Series were Elias Hanna with driving partner Miguel Padilla in the 7SX Class in a Ford Ranger and Jessica McMillin and driving partner Beau Elkert in the ProTruck class piloting a Ford F-150.
2011 SCORE Baja 500 Race Information
The 2011 Tecate SCORE Baja 500 started and finished in downtown Ensenada on Boulevard Costero for the fourth straight year. Starting and finishing in Ensenada, this year’s tight and technical course ran in a clockwise direction for the seventh straight year.
The 500 saw 254 starters competing in 28 Pro and 7 Sportsman classes for cars, trucks, motorcycles and ATVs, Saturday and Sunday in Ensenada, Mexico.
The following is a complete list of BFGoodrich Tires 2011 Tecate SCORE Baja 500 class winners:
• SCORE Trophy Truck – #70 Bryce Menzies
• Class 1 – #122 Steve Eugenio / Adam Pfankuch
• Class 1-2/1600 – #1600 Luke McMillin / Justin Smith
• Class 3 – #300 – Donald Moss / Ken Moss / Dave Grundman
• Class 5 – #501 Cody Kellogg / Rick Wilcoxson/Troy Johnson
• Class 7SX – #140 Elias Hanna / Miguel Padilla
• Class 8 – #802 Justin Matney / Rudolfo Iribe
• Class 10 – #1000 Sergio Salgado / Gustavo Pinuelas / Cesar Castillo
• SCORE Lite – #1209 Rafael Navarro IV / Ravael Navarro III / Vic Bruckmann
• Class 11 – #1101 Justin Matney / Ramon Fernandez
• ProTruck – #1331 Jessica McMillin / Beau Elkert
• Class 4 – #402 Clyde Stacy / Kyle Green / Eduardo Laguna
• SPT Car – #1400 Peter Lang / Peter Irving
BFGoodrich Tires drivers earned 7 of the top 10 overall four-wheel finishing spots:
1. SCORE Trophy-Truck – #70 Bryce Menzies / Ricky Johnson
2. SCORE Trophy-Truck – #20 Rob MacCachren
3. SCORE Trophy-Truck – #31 Andy McMillin / Scott McMillin
4. SCORE Trophy-Truck – #84 Nick Vanderwey / Curt LeDuc / Larry Vanderwey
5. SCORE Trophy-Truck – #98 Gary Weyhrich / Mark Weyhrich
6. SCORE Trophy-Truck – #19 Tim Herbst / Larry Roeseler
7. SCORE Class 1 – #122 Steve Eugenio / Adam Pfankuch
Using motorsports as a proving ground for more than 40 years, BFGoodrich® Tires is involved in every type of racing, including oval, sports car, drifting, drag, desert, dirt, rally and extreme rock crawling. BFGoodrich Tires combines technological expertise with vast motorsports experience, delivering a high-performance tire for every type of vehicle. Visit BFGoodrich Tires at www.BFGoodrichTires.com, on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/BFGoodrichTires or on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/BFGintheDirt.
Photo: Art Eugenio/Get Some Photo